Please join us for a NANA Beautification Fundraiser, courtesy of Lauck Properties and Team Herr/Coldwell Banker!
Plan to join us on Sunday, June 27 anytime between 4 and 7 pm at 3997 Beechwood Avenue to tour this 1910 “diamond in the rough” — serious rough! It is a very rare chance to see a North Avondale home BEFORE its renovation has begun. Now is YOUR chance! Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite or by paying $20 cash at the door. Entry will be regulated into the house for the safety of all and there will be guides inside to talk about the history of the house and share stories from the prior long term owner. Your ticket price includes a cocktail or mocktail to enjoy until you are able to enter the home. Masks are strongly suggested and this tour is not appropriate for mobility impaired persons or young children. You will not want to miss this event!!
We are pleased to restage our former “yard of the month” to” featured garden(s) of the month”. This month Beautification brings you two HIDDEN GEMS! We feature two lovely gardens hand tended by their owners.
The first garden at 4220 Red Bud Place is the home of Michelle and John Ernst. When they moved to the neighborhood in 2008, they did not even know their garden had these amazing terraces and stone walls; it was so overgrown! In 2010, they began the big clean out. They uncovered the hedges, brought in new soil, and created perennial beds amongst their foundation plantings. Michelle gets many of her plants from neighbors and friends and says “her garden is a story of failed plants”! (Not so!) When you visit this garden, you will find dahlias (that she lifts every year), zinnias started from seeds, as well as catmint and a climbing Mandeville vine, which complement the colors of their home, among many other delights.
Our second HIDDEN GEM is at 3935 Abington and is the home of Mandy Pritchard. While this is the 6th year Mandy has lived here, she just started gardening this past year, partly due to available time during the pandemic. Her home has lots of sun and not much soil, so she created visual appeal using pots.
Mandy works at the Cincinnati Zoo and has embraced their Plants for Pollinators challenge on the left side of her driveway! You can do this too. For more information check out: http://cincinnatizoo.org/horticulture/plant-for-pollinators/. Be sure to register your garden! In addition, to pollinators, Mandy feeds hummingbirds, squirrels and people!! She has an ingenious vegetable garden in her side garden and has even made her own potting bench. (Editors note: I don’t think I was this handy during the pandemic!)
Mandy’s home is on a cul-de-sac and she has cleared out much honeysuckle in efforts to plant wild flowers for all of her neighbors to enjoy. She enjoys “rescuing” plants at garden centers and her current favorite is her beautiful red rhododendron.
If you have a garden or know of a garden that may hold special interest for our neighbors, please email Jolene Struebbe at to let her know. Future spotlights could be on back yard retreats, feature or specimen plants and trees, water gardens, etc. Thanks!
- NANA Beautification is seeking a neighbor who likes to keep things CLEAN! We need someone in charge of Litter Control. This volunteer position would involve:
- organizing community clean ups, and ongoing street clean ups
- Interfacing with Keep Cincinnati Beautiful community clean – ups, special projects and Grants
- Interfacing with City Services (clean-ups and making sure city services are obtained)
You do not have to clean up the neighborhood yourself!!
Jolene Struebbe, Beautification Chair
- The 2021 Spring Clean Up was a huge success, thanks to neighbors coming out in perfect weather! City Councilman Derek Bauman gathered 2 bags of trash (and met some new friends). The mound of trash pictured here represents less than half of what was collected–most of the volunteers disposed of their bags in bins on route, or at their homes. Many thanks to all the participants, and the NANA and Keep Cincinnati Beautiful for the support!
Laurie Pike, 2021 Clean Up Event Chair