Car thefts are on the rise. Follows are some tips you can use to avoid being the victim of a car thief.
• Never leave your car running unattended, even to dash into a business, store, etc.
• Never leave any keys in the car or ignition, or inside a locked garage.
• Always roll up your windows and lock the car, even if it is parked in front of your home.
• Never leave valuables in plain view, even if your car is locked. Put them in the trunk out of sight.
• Always park in high-traffic, well-lit areas, when possible.
• Install a mechanical device that locks the steering wheel, column, or brakes. These devices can deter some criminals.
• Investigate the purchase of a vehicle theft tracking/security system, especially if you own one of the frequently stolen model vehicles.
• Never leave personal identification documents, vehicle ownership title, or credit cards in your vehicle.
• Copy your license plate and vehicle information (VIN) numbers on a card and keep them with you. If your vehicle is stolen, the police will need this information for the report.
• If your vehicle is stolen, report it to the police IMMEDIATELY.
Remember, please take precautionary measures to minimize your chances of becoming a victim.