Have you heard of our Jean Alva Goldsmith Collection? Jean Alva Goldsmith was born on September 7, 1922 in Avondale, however she unexpectedly passed away days before seventh birthday, on August 29, 1929. She developed a deep love of reading and even insisted her family celebrate her half birthdays to receive more books as gifts.
Shortly after her passing, the family of Jean Alva donated her collection of several hundred books to the Library. Her family also established a trust, with funds donated to the library twice annually for the purchase and addition of quality children’s books for her collection. A century after Jean Alva’s birth, we continue to add to her collection through the trust and celebrate her love of reading.
While books from the Jean Alva Goldsmith Collection can’t leave the Main Library, other copies are available for checkout. Explore a handful of digitized works from the collection: https://cinlib.org/3fcLWn9
North Avondale Recreation Center
617 Clinton Springs Ave. 513.961.1584
- Fall Hours: open Monday through Friday 10am to 8pm
- Next North Avondale Barbershop talk series on October 24 from 6pm-9:00.
- Senior Knitting & Social Group: Monday, 12:00 to 1:30 membership required
- Beginner Open Pickleball on Monday afternoons from 12 to 2 and Wednesday mornings from 10am to noon.
- Membership required
- Tai Chi class Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 to 11 a.m. Membership required plus fee $50 per month, $7 per class
Seven Star Dragons Karate, NARC Dojo is accepting new students ages 6 years through adults. We specialize in “Youth Empowerment”. Our program will empower your child to resist bullying, be a leader, have positive character traits, improve academics, physical and mental wellness. Register at the link below. We look forward to serving you!
Hirsch Recreation Center
3620 Reading Road
- Hours: Monday & Friday 12:00 pm to 8:00pm; Tuesday & 10:00 am to 8:00 pm; Friday 12:00 to 9:00pm; Saturday 9:00 am to 2:00pm
- Free La Soupe Frozen meals available Wednesday after 2:45 pm until gone. This is for anyone who may need a meal in our surrounding community.
- Please call 513.751.3393 for availability.
- Spin Class Monday 6:15 to 7:00pm & Thursday 10:00 to 10:45am Please reserve your bike ahead of time.
- The Fade/Game Room Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 5:30 to 7:30 ages 8 to 17
- A1 since Day 1 Saturday 12:00 to 1:00 12 to 17 years old
- For more information on these programs and other programs Click Here for Program Guide
Christopher Huff, Community Center Director